Role: Mid-Weight Graphic/Creative Designer
Reports to: Creative Manager
Start Date: ASAP
Location: LondonFounded by Gemma Shiel from a North London Garage in 2001, Lazy Oaf is a design-led lifestyle brand with a history of doing things our own way. What started with hand-printed T-shirts sold from a stall in East London has now become an established independent brand, with creativity, collaboration and community at its heart. Lazy Oaf is primarily a DTC brand with retail space in London.
We are looking for:
We are looking for a Mid-Weight Graphic Designer to join our in house creative team in our London office to identify and execute the graphic visual identity of Oaf. Working across all our creative design outputs to help create and deliver innovative projects including branding, digital campaigns, email campaigns, web & app content, social content, digital marketing, packaging and print / offline creative (in-store, retail windows and events).
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for the right Oaf looking to further their experience within a creatively led, innovative fast-growing business. We are looking for an excellent creative eye, someone who’s multi-disciplinary, dynamic and who has a passion for digital graphic design, is a generator and can deliver creative design and artwork on time that blows our minds – if you tick these boxes you have come to the right place.
We offer an exciting benefit package including flexible working, staff discount, snacks in the office and a seasonal Lazy Oaf Uniform allowance to name a few.
- Develop and deliver a brand visual identity that best reflects our objectives, authenticity and values, bringing what Oaf looks like to life.
- Digitally focused: This role requires a familiarity with a digitally driven brand and the creative requirements that come with that – thinking about all digital execution to include all assets, banners, stories, slides, animations, app updates, paid social content, newsletter best practice etc.
- We like to encourage bold statements and odd ideas, so we want you to create innovative design solutions with a focus on Oaffing up our platforms. We like visuals with impact, and we are a brand first business, so storytelling is key to all our Design output.
- Providing creative/ editorial layout and graphics in various formats that could range from our online Oaf World editorials to a printed zine and creative additions we haven’t even thought of yet!
- Supporting the creative team in building and maintaining brand guidelines – working collaboratively ensuring guardianship of what we look like, adapting internal and external brand guidelines to ensure we are all keeping Oaf looking consistently great.
- You will be part of a wider Creative team, we also need you to be a self starter with initiative, you will be responsible for projects and the day to day management of your own workload across a broad range of projects and deadlines.
- Contributing creative ideas to wider creatively led projects that meet brand values and objectives.
- Present and communicate creative solutions with clarity, effectively selling ideas to a variety of stakeholders across Oaf.
- Liaise with external contacts in production of designed material when needed.
- Ability to manage and maintain your own design process and timelines, inputting constructive solutions to workflow improvements and ensuring organisation standards and deadlines are kept.
- Responsible for building weekly newsletters in Klaviyo, building homepages in Shopify and maintaining the Lazy Oaf app creative.
- Collaborate with the Creative Manager and Junior Content Creative on photoshoots, art direction and ideations for campaign shoots, social content and ecommerce shoots.
- Collaborating with the fashion design team on graphics and illustration that form part of our collections when needed
- Responsible for managing a monthly budget for additional creative support ranging from projects, external designers, offline collateral, production of additional assets or training. Ensuring budgets are recorded and kept to and projects/services are best managed to completion and meet deadlines.
Knowledge & Skills
- A creative all-rounder
- Experience of a digitally demanding brand/business
- 3+ years’ experience working in a similar role.
- Experienced in design apps, especially a wizard on Adobe Suite.
- A good understanding of motion graphics/2D animation would be great, with any experience in 3D animation being a further plus!
- Familiarity with best UI/UX practices and Figma
- Familiarity with Shopify and Klaviyo (or other email campaign tools) would be a plus.
- A dab hand at illustration would be ideal
- A portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of contemporary design, typography, motion and brand identity.
- Experience and understanding of the end to end design process
- You already get us! Have a passion for contemporary graphic design, style, streetwear, youth and creative subcultures.
- Strong visual skills that provide impact, deliver creativity and tell the Oaf story.
- Passionate, positive and enjoys new challenges, working collaboratively, proactively and contributing to team meetings.
- Ability to produce quality work within a fast-paced environment meeting tight deadlines.
Hell Yeah! How do I apply?
Please send us an email telling us a bit about you and why Oaf, your CV, a link to a digital portfolio along with one image that you think best captures the Lazy Oaf Identity, your salary expectations and notice period to email@example.com with the subject title ‘Mid-Weight Graphic/Creative Designer’.
- Creativity: we want creative marketing that captures and evolves our brand.
- Collaboration: we want Oafs who work collaboratively internally and externally.
- Community: we want brand and marketing initiatives that foster community engagement.
- Humour: we want to connect with our customers and community through our tone of voice.
- Disruption: we want initiatives that disrupt traditional approaches.
- DIY: we want Oafs who can get creative with resources.